Home  Home

Forum  Forum
FAQ  FAQ     Search  Search     Downloads  Downloads     Memberlist  Memberlist     Usergroups  Usergroups
Private Messages  Log in to check your private messages  
Register  Register   Log in  Log in  

Start direction « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
heuler
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Start direction Reply with quote

Trusted user

Hi!

I'd like to have the start direction in yards. If I enter a club face angle of 1 degree I see this in the current version:

Pull-Hook 12,6 yards side deviation 0,9 Degree horizontal launch angle.

I'd also like to have:

Pull-Hook 12,6 yards side deviation starting 3,4 yards to the left.

i.e the 0,9 degrees are converted in a distance.

That makes it easier to imagine the ball flight.

Best wishes Oliver
fschmidberger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Start direction Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hi Oliver,

I think what you mean is already there.

See "Side deviation" in the results box.

Edit: After reading your post again, I understand what you really mean.

Quote:
That makes it easier to imagine the ball flight.

Have a look at the top view, then you don't have to imagine the ball flight, you see it.

Cheers
Frank
fschmidberger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Start direction Reply with quote

Site Admin

Oliver,

I had to read your post a few times before I got it. Do I understand you correctly, you want to have the "straight" and the "curve" parts of the side deviation listed as separate items in the results box?

Edit: Now, that I understand what you mean, I have to say that I think it's a good idea. Dave and others, what do you think?

Cheers
Frank
dtutelman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Start direction Reply with quote

Site Admin

fschmidberger wrote:
Do I understand you correctly, you want to have the "straight" and the "curve" parts of the side deviation listed as separate items in the results box?

If I understand Oliver correctly, this seems to be two things:

(1) Separating the side deviation into the initial direction and the spin components, as Frank infers.

(2) Providing the initial direction component as an input not an output, an alternative to the horizontal angle.

I think #1 is a great idea. I'd like to see that myself. I have a study in mind where it will be a big help.

I'm not sure Oliver is asking for #2, but if he is...

#2 has a few problems associated with it. For the user, the problem is that yards-off-line is not a direction; it is a combination of direction and distance. So, if you change the ball speed, you will also change the actual direction (angle) if yards-off-line is the way you input the start direction.

There is also a challenge for the implementer. Because of the first problem (yards-off-line depends on distance as well as direction), the program would have to compute the entire trajectory to find the distance, refine the direction, recompute the trajectory, etc. There is no way to compute directly from yards to angle, the way there is from angle to yards. It would have to be by successive approximation.

Hope this helps,
DaveT

Jump to: